By cold forming at ambient temperatures, the process moves, or “cold works,” the material to give it properties that manufacturers can’t achieve through other forming and cutting methods.
Unlike hot metalworking options, cold rolling maintains temperatures below the metal’s recrystallization point to give the material enhanced hardness and tensile strength. The process also generates a higher yield and a smooth, functional surface finish. The end result is a highly precise metal material with optimal dimensional accuracy, all qualities that make cold rolled products well-suited to applications in trucking and transportation. Learn more about the high-quality custom cold rolled products Grob Inc. offers for these industries.
Transportation Cold Rolled Product Applications
Our Grob cold rolled products are used in various applications for the transportation and trucking industry, most notably in moving components. Some of our specialty products include standard and custom spline shafts for steering shafts in trucks, buses, and other vehicles. These spline shafts connect the steering mechanisms to the steering wheel while still allowing the user to adjust the position of the steering wheel.
Cold rolled splines, gears, pulleys, and custom profiles are found throughout the transportation industry from small motorcycles to large trucks. Some of these product applications include:
- Dumping Mechanisms
- Automatic Doors
- Transmission Parts
- Engine Parts
- Hydraulic Pumps
Types of Materials Used in Transportation Cold Forging
All material produced with the Grob cold rolling method has increased strength and surface finish to provide the strongest and most durable part. We use cold rolling processes and specialized machinery to manufacture these products. Testing the completed product through strict quality assurance ensures the end product meets or exceeds requirements for strength and durability.
Our cold forged products are made of various materials, including:
- Carbon Steel
- Alloy Steel
- Stainless Steel
- Pre-Hardened Tool Steel
Benefits of Cold Forming Transportation Parts
Grob’s cold rolled products are ideal for these applications for their:
- Strength: Cold rolled metals are known for their durability. Components of strong material construction are preferable in applications like trucking as they can last a long time in even the most heavy-duty applications.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Our engineered process saves on production costs, as it requires less material and increases forming speeds. This makes the process more cost-effective and efficient than other cutting and forming processes.
- Surface Finish: The Grob rolling method provides a very smooth surface finish that allows moving products to fit seamlessly together with less friction.
- Finished Products: The cold forming process allows us to form the material into the finished shape. This means no grinding is required. This leads to less material waste and fewer operations resulting in a less expensive part.
- Material Savings: Our cold forming process results in less waste material and less material used due to no material being removed or wasted in the process. This reduces the overall raw material cost of the parts resulting in a less expensive end product.
Cold Rolled Products by Grob Inc.
The cold rolled process is capable of creating a range of durable, high-performance metal products for virtually any industry. The manufacturing technique’s benefits make cold rolled metal particularly valuable in transportation and trucking applications. From custom steering columns and standard steering shafts to axle shaft splines, cold rolled metal is the superior manufacturing choice for the rugged products it creates.
The Grob Inc. team of technicians and craftsmen excels at high-quality cold rolled products, surpassing 2,000 existing profile options and capabilities for custom profiles. Family-owned and -operated for nearly a century, Grob Inc. is committed to superior components and materials, customer service, and optimal value. We specialize in a form of nearly zero-waste cold roll forming that generates the desired configuration by displacing the raw material. It also lends end products the benefits of enhanced durability and strength, with an aesthetically pleasing high surface finish.
Contact us to speak with a team member for more information on our cold rolling process and transportation products, or request a quote today.